Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Ode to Oats



Never thought I’d be writing a topic on food, although it is my first love; thinking about it all the time, always making way to eat, defending it when under fire. Putting it in writing was never foreseen, yet here I am eager to share my ‘breakfast of champions’.


About three days out of the work week, I whip-up a hearty bowl of oatmeal and fruit. I know, can sound bland, boring, and a short lived project, I know. My initial reason for eating this was not for its gourmet quality but for its holistic nutritional value. Six months later, I’m still finding it as tasty and satisfying as ever!


My reason for eating oats was for its warming quality. It doesn’t pull from my own body’s energy to have to warm it up, and I am sustained with enough energy for half the day or until lunch time. It’s healing properties range from boosting Qi, and strengthening the digestive system, to reducing cholesterol, and building up the immune system.


I keep things interesting by adding different kinds of fruits each time and even sometimes make it a savory dish by adding veggies. Below is my easy-breezy recipe. Enjoy, and make it as interesting for yourself as I do! Oh, and icing on the cake?...it keeps me regular!


Easy-breezy Oatmeal

3 cups water

¼ cup rolled oats

Fruits


Add water and oats to a medium sized pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to very low and simmer for about 15-20 minutes. Add or reduce the amount of water depending on how thin or thick you like your oatmeal. I like to simmer it a little while longer to obtain a thicker consistency. After 15-20 minutes has passed or the consistency desired has been reached, throw in some sliced fruit and cook for another 5-10 minutes. This allows the fruit to warm up and sweeten the oats. Bon A Petite!

No comments:

Post a Comment